Experimental assessment of hazardous chemical reactions and scale up of industrial processes
- Determination of the heat evolved and the pressure developed during an uncontrolled exothermic runaway reaction
- Low phi-factor testing
- Scale up of reactive processes and hazard assessment
Key data obtained:
- Exothermic ‘onset’ temperature
- Heat release (or temperature rise)
- Pressure increase
- Kinetic data
- Determination of venting behaviour (gassy, vapour, hybrid)
- Determination of flow regime (two-phase or single phase)
- Support to emergency relief venting sizing
Prof. Gabriele Landucci, Dr. Federica Barontini, Prof. Cristiano Nicolella
Regione Toscana (Bando Unico R&S n.2009DUA/526090469/1).
- Barontini, F., Landucci, G., Bimbi, M., Graziano, G., Nicolella, C. Thermal hazard analysis of organic peroxides by adiabatic calorimetry (2017) Chemical Engineering Transactions, 57, pp. 415-420.
- Landucci, G., Lovicu, G., Barontini, F., Guidi, L., Nicolella, C. Safety issues related to the maintenance operations in a vegetable oil refinery: A case study (2014) Journal of Loss Prevent ion in the Process Industries, 30 (1), pp. 95-104.
- Landucci, G., Pelagagge, L., Nicolella, C. Analysis of maintenance and storage operations in edible oil plants: Formation of flammable mixtures (2012) Chemical Engineering Transactions, 26, pp. 33-38.
- Landucci, G., Pannocchia, G., Pelagagge, L., Nicolella, C. Analysis and simulation of an industrial vegetable oil refining process (2013) Journal of Food Engineering, 116 (4), pp. 840-851.
- Landucci, G., Nucci, B., Pelagagge, L., Nicolella, C. Hazard assessment of edible oil refining: Formation of flammable mixtures in storage tanks (2011) Journal of Food Engineering, 105 (1), pp. 105-111.