Hemodynamic forces play an important role in the initiation and progression of cardiovascular diseases such as, in the ascending thoracic aorta, aneurysms or coarctation. Thus, the possibility to obtain numerical and in-vitro evaluation of hemodynamic flows, pressures and stresses, is of capital importance in understanding cardiovascular pathologies and validating new devices.
The idea is to develop a framework integrating patient- specific in-vivo 3D PC-MRI data, in-vitro data obtained from a fully controlled circulatory mock loop and numerical simulations of the thoracic aorta.
The main activities concern:
• Stochastic sensitivity analysis of the different sources of uncertainties that are present in CFD models, as e.g. inflow/outflow boundary conditions and modeling of the properties of the vessel wall compliance
• Validation of Numerical Simulations of thoracic aorta hemodynamics through comparison with in-vivo measurements and stochastic sensitivity analysis
• Development of a patient specific mock circulatory loop aimed at reproducing the fluid dynamic physiological conditions. Integration of simulations with in-vitro data obtained by a fully controlled and sensorized circulatory mock loop for 3D-printed aortic models.
Maria Vittoria Salvetti,
Simona Celi – BioCardioLab, Bioengineering Unit, Fondazione Toscana G. Monasterio, Heart Hospital Massa, Italy bcl.ftgm.it
Institute of Life Sciences, Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, Pisa, Italy https://www.santannapisa.it/en/istituto/scienze-della-vita/istituto-di-scienze-della-vita
- Boccadifuoco, A., Mariotti, A., Celi, S., Martini, N. and Salvetti, M.V. Impact of uncertainties in outflow boundary conditions on the predictions of hemodynamic simulations of ascending thoracic aortic aneurysms, Comput Fluids, 165, 96-115, (2018).
- Boccadifuoco, A., Mariotti, A., Capellini, K., Celi, S. and Salvetti, M.V. Validation of numerical simulations of thoracic aorta hemodynamics: comparison with in-vivo measurements and stochastic sensitivity analysis, Cardiovasc Eng Technol, 9(4), 688-706, (2018).
- Mariotti, A., Vignali, E., Gasparotti, E., Capellini, K., Celi, S., Salvetti, M.V. Comparison between numerical and MRI data of ascending aorta hemodynamics in a circulatory mock loop, Proceedings of the 24th Conference of the Italian Association of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (AIMETA 2019), (2019).